Friday, February 28, 2014

The Home-made Series: Shampoo

I've been intrigued by all the homemade soaps, cleaning products and beauty products 
that people are coming up with as an alternative 
to the chemically-laden options that most stores carry.
There seems to be no lack of recipes; all anyone needs is a little time to dive in!
Winter is my project time.
We can't do much outdoors, so my to-do list becomes quite lengthy.
My friend, Edith & I decided to start making some of those recipes
and I wanted to blog about the results.
Obviously, it's a trial-and-error process, and not everything turns out the way you wish. Ahem.
But, it's still fun trying!
And hopefully, I'm learning some things as I go too.


Our first project was homemade shampoo.
The recipe used castile soap as the main ingredient, with honey, coconut milk and essential oils.

Here are the amounts:
  • 1/2 cup liquid castile soap
  • 1/4 cup canned coconut milk
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 2 Tbsp. fractionated coconut oil
  • 1 Tbsp. Vitamin E oil
  • 40-50 drops essential oils [we used lavendar & orange]



We didn't find these items in our local stores, although a natural food store would probably have some things.
Vitacost is my favorite place to shop for these ingredients,
and they carried everything but the coconut oil.
That can be purchased on Amazon.


You also need 1 cute little girl with curly hair and a big red bowl.
And a whisk.
Well, you can make it minus the cute little girl, 
but it won't be as...
cute.


Just dump the ingredients in a big bowl and stir,
or put on a lid and shake to combine.
Dispense into bottles and shake before using.


Edith loves this shampoo, and my husband has been very happy with it too!
My hair is more greasy and I wasn't happy with how it cleaned it, 
even though it's supposed to work well for more oily hair.
So...I'm sticking with a really basic routine,
which is to wash my hair with baking soda
and rinse with vinegar.
Works beautifully!

Do you have a favorite home made shampoo?

No comments:

Post a Comment