Wednesday, October 3, 2012

World-View Wednesday: East Gate Ministries

 
A week ago, I was privileged to join some friends at a fundraising banquet for a local ministry, East Gate Ministries. This organization provides a home, along with love & support, for unwed mothers and women in abusive situations. Every time I go, I am touched and moved by the compassion that is shown to society's rejects. They are given unconditional love, and their testimonies always move me to tears!

This year, the featured speaker was Shari Rigby, who played as the biological mother of the star in "October Baby". As she shared her story of being raised in a broken home, abusive relationships and a resulting abortion, I was in awe of the redeeming power of God's grace! She could easily identify with many of the women there who had been through similar pain, but she also offered hope. I can't relate to much of what she has experienced, but I have walked through valleys of my own. And regardless of our story, we all know what heartbreak is. But I hope that we also have experienced the healing touch of the Father in our barren places!

As I listened to the stories that were shared, my heart was broken to think of the hurt that is right here, at my back door. So often, we think of "the mission field" as being overseas, when there is untold suffering in our own communities. What am I doing to make a difference, to share the love & hope that I have experienced? Friends, I am praying about that! I don't want to be content to live in my safe little "bubble" while there are hurting people all around me. Here I am, Lord!

As for the movie, "October Baby", watch it!!! The story is beautiful, and the acting is excellent. It is one of the best I have ever seen. The message of forgiveness is powerful and one I need to be reminded of over and over again!

If you want some extra inspiration, watch this clip of Ann Voskamp; another beautiful story of a life that has been transformed by a loving God.

Blessings to you, my friend, as you share the love of your Saviour in the place God has called you!

1 comment:

  1. "So often, we think of "the mission field" as being overseas, when there is untold suffering in our own communities."

    As one who is overseas, may I be the first to say "Amen!" to this statement of truth. Sometimes the greatest needs for us to reach is that of our own people group, those in our own backyards. God will give you opportunities to touch their lives and to minister, even as a busy mommy and farmer's wife!!

    ReplyDelete