Monday, November 19, 2012

Thanksgiving Week 2: Wine Cork Place Cards

Am I the only one out there who is getting excited about Thanksgiving?? Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I am hosting both families here this year, and I don't usually get to do that! Or maybe it's because of my personal rule: no listening to Christmas music until Thanksgiving Day. {I did break my rule, but only one time! My conscience didn't allow it and the music I found on youtube really wasn't that great.} Anyway, I digress. I have been contemplating menus, dreaming up decor and washing windows here in preparation for the festivities! I wanted to make some place cards with the stash of wine bottle corks I have, similiar to those I made for another church's Thanksgiving event.

 
They really are quite simple to make, and give an autumn vibe to your table. First off, I used a knife to slice about a 1/2" deep hole in the top. Then I took my daughter on a stroller ride, and we collected acorns! Just use some hot glue to fasten them on at the base of the cork. I also added a small green leaf for some color. Then you just need to make your name cards, out of any cardstock you have on hand. Or you can be cool and buy them so they look professional :)
 
 
:: A close-up of the cork with the acorn and leaf ::

 
And here you have it: my little "family" of place cards, for my family! Goodness, I'm ready to get this party started!!! And that's not all; be sure to check back next week to see what else is in the works.
 
Switching gears just a bit, I've been thinking alot about a thankful heart, and what that looks like. Some days, especially those that are full of sunshine and happiness, it's quite simple. But it's much more of a choice on those days when the baby is grouchy, the stack of bills seems overwhelming, and my supper is a far cry from the pictures in a cooking magazine. I had a few of those days recently, and the verse that came to my mind was "In everything give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." I Thessalonians 5:18 What a challenge: giving thanks, no matter what situation I find myself in! And quite honestly, the struggles I face are quite trivial in comparison to the suffering so many experience on a daily basis. Read Katie's story here and I know you will be touched like I was! Enjoy your weekend....and don't forget to give thanks! 

1 comment: